Qualities Of An Anti-Racist Ally
· Does something daily to earn the title of ‘ally.’ Recognizes that their “white ally badge” expires at the end of the day and must be renewed by a person of color.
· Title is not self-identified by white people but identified by people of color
· Understands that one person of color’s white ally is not automatically another person of color’s ally.
· Identifies and names racism directly.
· Takes the front line as a buffer; not as a ‘savior.’
· Recognizes that remaining silent, “neutral” or “objective” can be a form of race privilege.
· Takes responsibility for self-education and doesn’t expect POC to teach them.
· Cultivates genuine relationships with people of color that are mutually beneficial.
· Is hyper-vigilant about interrupting racism, but is not hyper-arrogant about being a “white ally.”
· Struggles every day with understanding and undoing aspects of their own privilege.
· Works regularly to develop a deeper understanding of ongoing colonial relationships.
· Understands that people of color’s experiences of racism is not debatable.
· Doesn’t require people of color to display proof of racist injury.
· Knows that people of color are the experts of their own experiences.
· Acts in solidarity with people of color without taking over their liberation efforts.
· Doesn’t expect gratitude from people of color, or to be recognized as a white ally.
· Takes on racism as a problem because it is personally offensive.
· Is motivated by a quest for justice, rather than a sense of guilt.
· Open to, and invites challenge. Expects support and accountability from other emerging allies.
· Unconditionally opposes oppression with no strings attached.
· Accepts that making mistakes is part of becoming an effective ally.
· Acknowledges, apologizes for, and learns from own mistakes without retreating.
· Interrupts racist statements or behaviors whether or not a person of color is present or objects.
· Participates respectfully in communities of color and avoids “cultural tourism.”
· Is committed to social justice and an end to oppression in all its forms.
©Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence (SPAN) –Anti-Racism Education 2007
835 North Street – Boulder, CO – 80304 – 303-449-8623 – www.safehousealliance.org