Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Examples of Christian Privilege

Christian Privilege: Breaking a Sacred Taboo
By Lewis Z. Schlosser

1. I can be sure to hear music on the radio and watch specials on television that celebrate the holidays of my religion.

2. I can be sure that my holy day (Sunday) is taken into account when states pass laws (e.g., the sale of liquor) and when retail stores decide their hours (e.g., on Saturdays, they are open about 12 hours; on
Sundays, they are closed or open for only a few hours).

3. I can assume that I will not have to work or go to school on my significant religious holidays.

4. I can be financially successful and not have people attribute that to the greed of my religious group.

5. I can be sure that when told about the history of civilization, I am shown people of my religion who made it what it is.

6. I do not need to educate my children to be aware of religious persecution for their own daily physical and emotional protection.

7. I can write an article about Christian privilege without putting my own religion on trial.

8. My religious group gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other religions.

9. I do not need to worry about the ramifications of disclosing my religious identity to others.

10. I can easily find academic courses and institutions that give attention only to people of my religion.

11. I can worry about religious privilege without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

12. I can be sure that when my children make holiday crafts, they will bring home artistic symbols of the Christian religion (e.g., Easter bunny, Christmas tree).

13. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my religious group.

14. I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my religion most of the time.

15. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a “credit to my religion” or being singled out as being different from other members of my religious group.

16. I can, if I wish to identify myself, safely identify as Christian without fear of repercussions or prejudice because of my religious identity.

17. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence and importance of the Christian religion.

18. I can protect my children from people who are religiously different from them.

19. I can have a “Jesus is Lord” bumper sticker or Icthus (Christian fish) on my car and not worry about someone vandalizing my car because of it.

20. I can buy foods (e.g., in grocery store, at restaurants) that fall within the scope of the rules of my religious group.

21. I can travel and be sure to find a comparable place of worship when away from my home community.

22. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my religion will not work against me.

23. I can be sure when I hear someone in the media talking about g-d that they are talking about my (the Christian) g-d.

24. I can be fairly sure that if I ask to talk to the “person in charge,” I will be facing a person of my religion.

25. I can be sure that people are knowledgeable about the holidays in my religion and will greet me with the appropriate holiday greeting (e.g.,Merry Christmas).

26. I can remain oblivious to the language and customs of other religious groups without feeling any penalty for such a lack of interest and/or knowledge.

27. I can display a Christmas tree and/or hang holly leaves in my home without worrying about my home being vandalized because of my religious identification.

28. I can be fairly sure that some hate group does not exist whose goal is to eradicate my religious group from the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment